Electric lawn mowers have a lot of features that make them much more preferred over gas lawn mowers. The former can be operated with less noise, is lighter to maneuver, and does not involve the hassle of storing and maintaining fuel. Hence, a mini electric lawn mower is the most popular choice of people with small backyards and gardens owing to its ease of use.
But choosing an electric lawn mower that is perfect for your purposes can be puzzling as you need to analyze a handful of factors before making a decision. Do you want a battery-powered lawn mower or a chorded one? How big is your yard and how much run time will your lawn mower need? These questions might plague you as you try to purchase an electric lawn mower. To offer you a fast escape from this worry, we have compiled a list of the 10 best small electric lawn mowers from which you can choose the one that is right for you.
Best Small Electric Lawn Mowers
1. Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO: 14-Inch
This version of Sun Joe’s MJ401E electric lawn mower is best suited to mow medium-sized yards and can cut taller grass.
- This lawn mower has a powerful motor of 13 amps and is quite impressive for its combination of small size and efficiency.
- Owning a high-grade steel blade, this equipment makes precise cuts and is durable.
- The clearing width of this lawn mower is 14 inches in each pass.
- This lawn mower boasts an adjustable deck which can be manually adjusted to three positions, make it much more versatile.
- One of the best features of this lawn mower is its collection bag with a volume of 10.6 gallons.
- This collection bag can be easily detached from the lawn mower’s rear end, thus enhancing easy disposal of the cut grass.
- It also has an efficient discharge chute that is tailor-made to cut taller grass with minimum clogging by the clippings in the mower deck.
Weight: 29 lbs
Clearing Width: 14 Inch
Durable steel blade
3-position height control
Handy disposal bag
Suited for small to mid-sized yards
Less noise, less pollution
Tailor-made to cut taller grass
The disposal bag is a little flimsy
2. Greenworks Cordless Lawn Mower: 16-Inch
This model of lawn mower by Greenworks checks all the boxes and is compatible with all grass types.
- Equipped with a powerful 40V Lithium-ion battery, this lawn mower can operate up to forty-five minutes after each battery recharge.
- This lawn mower is best suited to small and mid-sized yards and lawns.
- It possesses an all-in-one lever that allows you to adjust the machine’s height to five different positions according to your needs. The height range is from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8inch and offers impeccably clean cuts.
- This lawn mower has a clearing width of 16 inches and can cut grass of any height.
- It is also fitted with the two-in-one provision of mulching and bagging feature.
- Quite easy to start, maneuver and store this lawn mower owing to its push-button technology and compact size. Its collapsible handle enhances the ease of storage.
- This machine also offers fifty percent less noise as well as vibration compared to gas lawn mowers.
- The on-board battery life indicator helps you constantly keep a track of the battery charge while mowing your lawn.
- Its maneuverability is added by its six-inch front wheels and seven inch back wheels.
Weight: 37.5 lbs
Clearing Width: 16 Inch
Compact and lightweight
Collapsible handles – easy storage
Mulching and Bagging options
5-position height adjustment
Less noise, less pollution
A little big compared to others
3. Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower MO09B0: 14-Inch
This model of Greenworks’ lawn mower is corded and has unlimited runtime. It is best suited for small yards and gardens.
- This small lawn mower has a motor of 9 amps with a deck size of 14 inches and is ideal to cut grass in small-sized yards, gardens, and lawns.
- Being corded, this machine can be operated without a bar on time. All you got to do is plug it in and it is all set to mow your yard.
- This lawn mower has five positions of height adjustment which can be facilitated by a single lever. The height ranges from 5/8 inch to 2-5/8 inch and can be operated to cut any kinds of grass.
- This machine is easy to start – by employing the push-button technology, it just requires the push of a button to get this lawn mower running.
- It also has a two-in-one design that offers a combination of mulching as well as bagging.
- For escalated maneuverability, this lawn mower is fitted with 6inch front wheels and 7inch rear wheels.
- The handles, being foldable after use, makes it easy to store the machine.
Weight: 33.3 lbs
Clearing Width: 14 Inch
Lightweight and compact
Foldable handles – easy to store
Easy to manoeuvre
Dual feature of mulching and bagging
Five height adjustment positions
4. Greenworks Corded Dethatcher 27022: 14-Inch
This dethatcher lives up to its excellent name as it is very handy and easy to use – dethatching your lawn is now easier with Greenworks’ 27022 Dethatcher.
- This dethatcher has a powerful 10amp motor that seamlessly facilitates its functions.
- Its push-button technology lets you get it running with ease.
- This dethatcher has 18 stainless steel tines with each tine being 14 inches long, increasing the machine’s performance by staying sharp for a longer time.
- Its handles are ergonomic and their foldable nature makes storing this machine easy and hassle-free.
- Greenworks Corded Dethatcher works with very little noise and leaves no carbon footprint as it is environment friendly.
- It is best suited to dethatch lawns and yards that are small to mid-sized.
- This machine also has a three-position tine depth adjustment system that you can use according to your needs.
- It has a clearance width of 14 inches.
- Being very lightweight, it is easy to handle, transport, and maneuver this dethatcher.
Weight: 25.932 lbs
Clearing Width: 14 Inch
Easy-start push-button technology
Ergonomic and foldable handles
Compact and lightweight – easy to store and handle
Less noise, less pollution
Ideal for small to mid-sized lawns
Stainless steel 14 inches tines, 18 in number
Clearance width of 14 inches
3-position tine adjustment
5. Greenworks Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25142: 16-Inch
This corded electric lawn mower delivers the power and efficiency of a gas machine without the hassle involved in maintaining the fuel supply.
- The lawn mower has a robust motor of 10 amps that enables it to cut through tough overgrowth.
- Being corded, it has an unlimited run time and can be used to mow mid-sized to semi-large yards.
- This machine can be started easily owing to its push-button technology.
- The 2-in-1 design facilitates both baggings as well as mulching.
- This machine has a clearance width of 16 inches in each pass.
- It has a 5-position height adjustment system ranging from 5/8 inches to 2-5/8 inches.
- This lawn mower’s maneuverability is enhanced by its 6-inch front wheels and 7-inch rear wheels.
- The foldable handles of the machine make it compact and easy to store.
- While functioning, this machine produces very little noise and is environment friendly.
Weight: 33.3 lbs
Clearing Width: 16 Inches
5-position adjustment of height
Foldable handles enhance ease of storage
2 in 1 feature of bagging and mulching
The collection bag is smaller and requires to be removed frequently
It is tricky to work around the cord
Best Small Electric Lawn Mowers Of 13 Inch And Below
6. BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM Electric Lawn Mower: 12-Inch
This multipurpose corded lawn mower is one of the best deals available in the market – it harbours three-in-one function that allows you to use it to mow, trim and edge your lawn.
- It possesses a 6.5amp motor and employs “power drive transmission” that increases the torque, enabling you to cut through tough grass.
- Hassle-free operation of this lawn mower is ensured by the Automatic Feed Spool which helps you use the machine without having to take a break to adjust the spool.
- Fitted with a cord retention system, this lawn mower is equipped to prevent accidental disconnection of the cord while it is being used.
- It also boasts of being multifunctional as it can be converted easily into a mower, trimmer or an edger depending on the function that you need.
- The clearance width of this lawn mower is 12 inches and it is perfect for small-sized yards or gardens.
- Since it has an adjustable handle and adjustable height, it can be operated with utmost comfort.
- Being extremely lightweight and compact, it is easy to store this lawn mower.
Weight: 13 lbs
Clearing Width: 12 Inch
Light weight and easy to manoeuvre
Multipurpose lawn mower – contains mower, trimmer and edger
Power drive transmission that escalates efficiency
Adjustable handle, heights and length
Efficient cord retention system
Automatic Feed Spool
A little difficult to set up as the instructions are not comprehendible
7. WORX WG779 Lawn Mower: 13-Inch
This battery-operated lawn mower peaks in its efficiency in terms of productivity as well as the wise distribution of power on demand.
- This lawn mower has dual 20V batteries which give it a total power of 40V that doubles the run time of the equipment.
- Being lightweight, this lawn mower is compact and easy to store, handle, and maneuver.
- Worx WG779 employs the intellicut technology that is patented. This cutting edge feature enables you to receive power on demand. Need more torque when the grass gets thicker? All you have to do is turn a dial and you are fully equipped with more power to plough through it and when you are done, you can turn back down the dial, letting you save the battery.
- This lawn mower also possesses foam-padded ergonomic handles that ensure a comfortable grip while operating the machine.
- The push-button technology makes it possible to start the machine at the click of a button.
- This lawn mower has a clearing width of 13 inches and is also fitted with a lever that lets you adjust its height, having up to three positions to choose from.
- The charge indicators on the machine help you keep a track of the amount of battery power.
Weight: 29 lbs
Clearing Width: 13 Inch
Color: Black + Orange
Lightweight and compact
Handles padded with foam
Clearing width of 13 inches
Patented intellicut technology – torque on demand
Pre-installed mulch attachment and disposal bag
Requires more than a few passes to clear the same area
8. Sun Joe AJ801E Electric Scarifier + Lawn Dethatcher: 12.6-Inch
This scarifier-cum-dethatcher is ideal for you to maintain a healthy lawn. It is important to dethatch your lawn at regular intervals to ensure the growth of a healthier, thicker turf and this machine assists you in this.
- This dethatcher-cum-scarifier is powered by an efficient 12amp motor.
- It possesses 5-position depth control for raking ranging from -0.4 inches to +0.4 inches and can be controlled by the turn of a single knob.
- The clearance width of this machine is 12.6 inches in a single pass and is best suited to dethatch small to mid-sized lawns and yards.
- This machine employs Air Boost Technology which enhances its raking capacity.
- Being fitted with spring steel tines, Sun Joe AJ801E ensures maximum pickup of thatch and guarantees escalated efficiency.
- This machine is easy to start owing to its push-button technology and prevents accidental starting by employing a safety switch.
- The rugged, all-terrain wheels make it easy to use this machine in all kinds of lawns and contribute to its durability.
- The collapsible handle, along with its compact size facilitates easy storage as well as easy maneuverability.
Weight: 27 lbs
Clearing Width: 12.6 Inches
Collapsible handle and compact size for easy storage
Scarifier and dethatcher clubbed into one
Air Boost Technology
Steels, durable tines
Fitted with a safety switch
5-position depth control
The catch bag fills up quickly and can hinder the process
9. BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Small Electric Lawn Mower: 12-Inch
This mini lawn mower comes with three functions that you can choose from – mowing, trimming, and edging.
- This lawn mower possesses a 20V Lithium-ion battery that efficiently provides it with the power it needs to perform its functions.
- This machine easily alternates its functions between being a lawn mower, trimmer, and edger.
- By possessing an automatic feed spool system, this lawn mower no longer requires to be stopped mid-function to adjust the spool. No more bumping or stopping while you use it as the AFS takes care of the machine’s smooth operation.
- The power drive transmission gives constant speed to the machine ensures that more torque is provided when you need to cut thick grass without any hassle.
- This machine is ideal to be used on small yards, lawns, and gardens.
- It has a clearance width of 12 inches in a single pass.
- The package comes with two batteries to gift you with extended run-time.
- The deck, the trimmer as well as the pivoting handle are adjustable.
- This lawn mower is lightweight and compact, making it apt for easy storage.
Weight: 14.4 lbs
Clearing Width: 12 Inches
Color: Black + Orange
3 in 1 function -can be used as a lawn mower, trimmer and edger
Automatic Feed Spool for smooth functioning
Power Drive Transmission
Can cut through all kinds of grass
Perfect for small lawns
Adjustable deck, trimmer and pivoting handle
Extremely lightweight and compact
Multiple passes might be required to clear the same area
10. Sun Joe MJ400E Electric Lawn Mower: 13-Inch
This lawn mower is ideal for maintaining a small lawn and backyards.
- It has a powerful robust 12amp motor that functions best to clear small to mid-sized lawns.
- This lawn mower has a compact design and is lightweight, making it easy for you to use, maneuver, and store the machine.
- It has a three-position adjustable deck and you can choose from the following three height settings – 0.98 inches, 1.77 inches, and 2.56 inches.
- The machine has a clearance width of 13 inches.
- This electric lawn mower comes with a collection bag that has a volume of 9.2 gallons. The catch bag is easily detachable and helps you dispose the cut grass with no hassle.
- This machine facilitates crisp cuts wing to its durable steel blades.
- It also has wheels that are compatible with all sorts of terrain, making it versatile.
- The grass indicator window helps you know when the catch bag is full.
- Fitted with the push-button technology, it is very easy to start this lawn mower. In addition to this, it has a safety switch that prevents accidental starting of the machine.
Weight: 22 lbs
Clearing Width: 13 Inches
2 gallon collection bag
3-position adjustable deck
Lightweight and compact
Durable and efficient
Grass indicator flap
Sturdy steel blades
Assembly of the machine might be a bit tedious
Have A Look: Top 7 Electric Snow Blowers
Now that you have the list of small electric lawn mowers that are deemed the best in the market, you can easily make your choice. Just keep in mind that you must consider the size of your yard before choosing the perfect lawn mower for you. Also, you can go through the below buying guide before picking up one.
Lawn Mower Buying Guide
A good lawn mower can effectively decrease the task of trimming the grass in your lawn and helps you keep it well maintained. However, there are different types of lawn mowers available in the market today, but picking up one which is best for your gardening needs is a tough task. Here in this guide, we share with you some factors that you must consider before buying a lawn mowing machine for yourself.
Types Of Lawn Mowers
The ride-on mower is basically a vehicle in itself that you can drive in your lawn to cut the grass. These are quite expensive when compared to other lawn mowers and they are mostly powered with gas but there are also electric ride-on mowers that are operated by battery. These drive mowers start at a price range of $1000 and can reach up to $3000 or more. They can further be classified into two categories
a) Conventional Ride-On Mowers
These ride-on mowers are the conventional drive mower that has a steering wheel to steer them around the yard. The blades on these mowers run horizontal to the ground and trim all the grass that comes on its way. However, these mowers are quite big in size and can take a lot of space for storage and also need a lot of maintenance.
b) Zero-Turn Radius Lawn Mower
The zero-turn radius lawn mowers also known as ZTR mowers are a more advanced version of a ride-on mower. These mowers can pivot on its place, all thanks to their front caster wheel, and can give a zero-turn radius. The ability to rotate on its own place gives these mowers great maneuverability and helps in trimming the grass much more effectively. Also when compared to conventional ride-on mowers, these can mow a yard in less time.
c) Walk-Behind Mowers
The walk-behind mowers are smaller in dimension when compared to the ride-on mowers and are generally used in smaller yards. These are less expensive and also are easy to maintain and store. Just like the ride-on mowers the walk-behind mowers also have various types.
- Push Mowers
A push mower is a machine that needs to be pushed using muscle power to steer it further in the yard i.e these machines don’t have powered wheels. These machines are inexpensive and need little to no maintenance which makes them an ideal choice for people who have a very small yard, less than 100 sq m to be precise. These mowers can also be classified into two categories.
- a) Push Mower With Powered Blades
These kinds of push mowers have horizontal blades that are powered with gas or battery. However, you need to push them in the direction you wish to trim the grass manually, as the wheels are not powered by the engine. These kinds of mowers work great with a small yard that has tall grass.
- b) Reel Mowers
The reel mower, on the other hand, is a kind of push mower that has blades that move in the vertical direction. The blades on a reel mower are not battery or gas-powered and only move when you push the mower. However, these are the mowers that need the least maintenance and are also the least expensive among all. But they might not be as good with tall grass as the push mower with powered blades.
- Self-Propelled Mowers
The self-propelled mowers look quite similar to a push mower but have powered wheels so you don’t have to use your muscles to push them around. These mowers can be a good investment if you have a medium-size yard, as mowing a medium-sized yard with a push mower without powered wheels can be an extremely tedious task. The self-propelled mowers can be.
- a) Front-Wheel Drive
The self-propelled lawn mowers with a front-wheel-drive are comparatively less expensive than other wheel drive systems. Also, these mowers are good for yards that have an even terrain. Moreover, they are also easy to turn and maneuver when compared to rear-wheel drive mowers.
- b) Rear Wheel Drive
Mowers with a rear-wheel-drive provide more traction and are good for a lawn that has uneven trains and large slopes.
Mowers Based on Fuel type
There are basically two types of lawn mowers based on their fuel type
A gas-powered mower is fueled with gas and is generally more powerful than the electric powered mowers. However, these mowers need more maintenance and cost more in the long run. Also, the gas-powered mowers make a lot of noise during operation and since they are gas-powered they are also not good for the environment.
Electric mowers are less powerful as compared to the gas-powered mowers but also are less noisy and good for the environment as they don’t emit harmful gasses. Mostly the push mowers use the electric engine to power its blades but now even most self-propelled mowers are using electricity over gas as a cleaner fuel alternative. The electric mowers are basically of two types.
- Corded electric mower
These mowers are powered by electricity but can only cut the grass in the area up to where the cords can reach. Also, some people may not like a mower with cords as it makes maneuvering the mover very inconvenient.
- Cordless Electric mower
With a cordless electric mower, you are not limited to an area as it is battery operated, and you can take it anywhere you want without tangling in the wires. However, you can only use these mowers as long as they are charged. Once the battery is discharged the mower stops working.
Factors to consider
There are a few factors one must consider before buying a perfect lawn mower for their yard.
- Lawn Area
Before going for a lawn mower one must know what machine will be ideal for their garden depending upon its area. For instance, if your lawn area is more than 1/4th of an acre then going with a riding mower is a better choice because walk-behind mowers will be tough to guide through such a large area.
However, if your yard is smaller( around 100 sq m) then a push mower is an ideal machine for it as it is inexpensive and also quite easy to maintain. For a medium-size lawn area, a self-propelled mower is an ideal choice as you don’t have to push it on your own.
The terrain of your lawn is also a deciding factor for choosing a mower for it. If you have a plain yard then you can go with any of the mowers depending on the size of your yard. However, if the yard has uneven terrain and hilly slopes then a mower with rear-wheel drive is the better option.
- Blade Size
The blade size of the mower can also be a deciding factor as a mower with a larger blade can cut more grass in less time. However, a mower with large blades is not easy to maneuver. On the other hand, the mower with a smaller blade is easy to guide around the obstacles and flower beds in your lawn but it will take more time to clean the lawn this way.
The size of the blade can be presumed by the size of the deck of the mower, the bigger the deck size the bigger will be the blades. If you have a uniform flat lawn then a mower with a larger blade can help you clean the lawn in no time.
- Grass Clipping Discharge
The non-expensive mowers come with a side discharge chute which throws out the grass clippings on the side of the lawn. While it can be good to leave the grass clipping on the lawn as it will aid in fertilization. But if your lawn grass is thick and clumpy then it can also prove to be dangerous for the newly growing grass.
On the other hand, the mower with baggage doesn’t throw the clippings out of the machine but helps you collect it in a bag attached to the mower so that you can dispose of the clipping to a better place. However, if you have a large lawn then you may have to empty the bag quite a few times before you trim all the grass in your lawn.